Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Best Friends

Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis:
  • the tendency to desire what is best for the other
  • sympathy and empathy
  • honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart
  • Mutual understanding
  • Mutual Compassion
 Urban Dictionary says:



Best Friends are very special people in your life. They are the first people you think about when you make plans. They are the first people you go to when you need someone to talk to. You will phone them up just to talk about nothing, or the most important things in your life. When you’re sad they will try their hardest to cheer you up. They give the best hugs in the world! They are the shoulder to cry on, because you know that they truly care about you. In most cases they would take a bullet for you, coz it would be too painful to watch you get hurt.



I have a friend - whom i havent spoken to properly since March - so almost 3 months. I have chatted to her on facebook about trivial things, travel, weather weekends etc etc.
She used to be the first person I wanted to tell things too- when something exciting happened, or something shocking or sad, now I just think she wont have time, or I have to wait months to talk to her, so whats the point. 
I always wonder if she thinks the same as me, cos she doesnt ask to skype me, I'm always the one who has to ask when we are gonna talk next. 
She used to be my best friend, but now im not so sure.

A best friend to me, is someone who has the time to listen, even when they have so much going on with them, they will go out for coffee or wine, even if it means ditching their boy friend for a few hours. 
They are someone who asks how you are and listens. Not just hears the monotone of "IM OK" but actually listens. Someone who knows all about your life - not necesssarily your past but more importantly your present, they can give good advice and just want to be with you cos they are your friend. 

I dont think I have many friends any more. All my friends back home have moved on with their lives and dont know any REAL stuff that is going on with me. No one really asks. No one really cares.

I wonder what it will be like when I go home!! 

No comments: